This week sees the release of Moulettes’ second album The Bear’s Revenge. It’s been nearly two years since their eponymous debut, but it’s worth the wait. The Bear’s Revenge is an album with much wider appeal than than their first, better crafted with a more colourful tapestry of styles.
Back in April The Moulettes had their single launch at The Marlborough. Two months on, it’s about time they actually released it. Held back by a combination of trying to tie things in with their multitude of festival appearances, and pressing plant delays caused by bank holidays, Sing Unto Me finally hits the shops next monday.
Sing Unto Me is the lead single from the Moulettes new album The Bear’s Revenge. In a bit of a departure from most of their tracks, lead singer Hannah Miller takes on guitar rather than ‘cello duties, but the overall sound is very familiar – tight female harmonies sung in the round, and a folk rhythm section made up of guitar, fiddle, bodhran, and any other bits of percussion that come to hand as well as double bass from Ted Dwane from Mumford and Sons.
Being the generous sorts they are, the single comes with a bumper six tracks – as well as a single edit, there’s a remix, a cover by fellow Brightonians The Muel, and a handful of b-sides including live favourite Are You Going Away To Sea, which is probably the track that made me fall in love with them in the first place.
The band are going to have a very busy summer. If you happen to be at any of the following festivals, I heartily recommend you go and see them:
- 07/06 Irish Cultural Centre, Derry, Northern Ireland
- 08/06 Marlboro House, Bundoran, Donegal
- 09/06 ‘Gentlemen Of The Road’ Salthill Pk Galway – w/Mumford & Sons
- 10/06 The Slate, Cork – on at 5.30pm, *before* the football!
- 06/07 Nova Festival
- 21/7 Secret Garden Party – Three gigs in one day! 5pm @ Onetaste, 8-ish @ Small World, 11.30pm-ish @ Cut-A-Shine
- 29/07 Cambridge Folk Festival (Den Stage)
- 03/08 Playgroup Fest – 5pm Main Stage
- 04/08 Nottingham Riverside Festival
- 12/08 Greenwich Summer Festival
- 25/08 Purbeck Folk Festival
- 26/08 Rhythm Festival
- 02/09 End Of The Road Festival
- 07/09 Bestival Isle Of Wight
- 29/09 Life Centre, Bournemouth
- 06/10 Musicport Festival, Whitby
- 21/10 Lewes ‘Apple Festival’